In the 1860's the first settlers arrived in Coorow. In 1962 Coorow became a Shire with its western boundary at the coast. Green Head was first gazetted on 7th January 1966. In 1969, the first freehold lots in the Green Head Townsite were auctioned at the Coorow Shire Hall. The township of Snag Island was gazetted in 1962 and the name Leeman was formally issued in 1971 when the Leeman Primary School was opened. Long time locals and tourists still refer to the town as Snag Island.
Further information on the history of Coorow, Leeman and Green Head is available in the Shire's Heritage Inventory which can be accessed by clicking on the link below.